Those of you that have looked at the recipes here before have probably realized: I am not much of a sweets person. I am much more of a savory eater, and therefore, a savory cook. So, I guess it should not come as too much of a surprise that this morning's breakfast was what is commonly known as a sweet food, turned not-so-sweet.
Best served with some grilled sausages (you can use veggie sausages, if you prefer), this makes for a really quick, simple breakfast. By the way, the way I prepared the sausages:
slice up an onion and let the slices cook in a pan over a low flame for a good 10 minutes or so in a small amount of olive oil
add a healthy splash of balsamic vinegar
add the sausages in slices and let that cook over a (really) low flame until the sausages are browned
On to the bread...
1C milk (I used 2%, but anything, including soy, would be fine)
bread (4-5 large slices or 9-10 small)
healthy pinch of salt
1t sweet savory
(I used dried herbs, as my Aerogarden has not yet produced its crop. By all means, if you have fresh, use them... and feel free to play around with other herbs.)
1. In a rather shallow bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Add salt and herbs; beat some more.
2. Start heating up a skillet over a low-medium flame. I used a le Crueset grill, to make everything pretty, but any skillet will do. Don't forget to coat with olive oil or non-stick spray. Alternatively, you can bake these--see below.*
3. Throw the slices of bread into the mixture and let soak--at least 1 minute/side.
4. Once the bread is saturated, and the grill is hot, place the slices on the grill so that they do not touch one-another. Cook until browned on both sides.
5. If you have more than one batch, they will keep warm in an oven at 250F.
Voila--not so French, but very nice.
*Now, for baking:
1. Preheat an oven to 425F.
perform steps 1 and 3 above
2. Prepare a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
3. Place the bread slices on the sheet so that they do not touch one another, and place into the preheated oven for 6 minutes or so.
4. Flip the slices and place back into the oven for an additional 5-6 minutes.
That is all. Very simple, quick, and tasty.