31 October 2010

What would YOU do?

Religion is always a touchy subject.

I was brought up without the routine of church every Sunday. I remember my 5th grade art teacher being appalled when I told her we had too much to do, we simply did not have time to sit in church. Yet, I turned out OK. (Then again, I have never been much of a sitter--more of a doer--I even have a hard time watching TV or a movie. I feel that there is so much more that I could fill that time with... such a waste.)

Let me say, before I lose the small audience that I do have, that I am a very spiritual person. I definitely believe in a higher power, but I am more inclined to believe in nature (Mother Nature) than in an overseeing man. hmmm, so, in effect, is it the sex of the force with which I take issue? I do not think so. Taoism somehow feels right to me, but I really have to study more. I also am very interested in Buddhism. So much to see and learn.

The reason I am bringing up this subject? What do I do, when a patient asks, "Are you Christian, doctor. Will you pray with me?" It has happened on more than one occasion, and in the past, I have prayed with them in my own way... but I always feel somewhat of a phony. This is especially true since prayer is not so much used in Taoism and Buddhism--more of a meditation or conjuring, for lack of a better term. Considering my field, I expect to be asked to pray many times in the future.

So, what do you do? What do you think is appropriate?

9 comments:

Jennie C said...

I think you can take a moment and reflect and commune with that higher power in your way, just as your patient is doing in hers. This IS prayer.

ireps said...

i think you can say, I will pray with you, without commenting on the Christian part. I think prayer is so much more than folding our hands to a heaven.

rlbates said...

I agree with Jennie. You can tell them you are spiritual and will be happy to pray with them. If they ask you to say the prayer, tell them you are more comfortable praying silently.

Jabulani said...

I would tell the patient I was more than happy to sit WITH them and hold their hand while THEY prayed. Afterall, they are the one with the faith to pray. Then, when they are done, you can simply say "Amen".
Perhaps the reason the patient asks, is because they want the comfort and company of another human being, rather than someone to pray FOR them.

DrB said...

I think all of you have very good points, and not far from what I was already practicing. It is always good to get more ideas, though.

Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

I would say that I'd be happy to be with them while they pray. I don't pray. And like Jabulani, I love a good Amen.

Anonymous said...

I would say "I'll be happy to stay with you while you pray but I don't want to bring my own religious beliefs into the situation as that would not be respectful to my patients."

I'm an atheist. I don't advertise that fact but my friends know. I'm no longer willing to allow religious people to coerce me into involvement with their beliefs, which is what such a patient is doing, even if he or she is not aware of it.

Anonymous said...

wow - I didn't read any of the other comments before posting mine but Jabulani and I started our comments nearly identically!

Sarada Kakinada said...

I think I'd probably say something like "You know, I'm not too much of an expert in the subject, but I can hold your hand while you say a thought or a prayer, if you'd like." That way, you're providing support in a way that the patient can appreciate, while not actively endorsing your own views.